Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Beer #2

This was also a joint venture... In fact my role in this beer was limited to the creation of it and I didn't even have to invest in the ingredients (Hoorah!). So my friend (Yellow from the previous post) went out with another friend and purchased 9 (or more) 5/6 Gallon carboys, an excellent wine corker and a buttload of other supplies. The price? No clue, but they were second hand.


I believe we worked out that we could produce around 750 bottles of beer at a time (And that was before I got my supplies), but before embarking on that adventure we decided to do a test batch.
Because this time around we knew the basics of what we had to do (CLEAN!!!) we weren't as clueless as we were during the mead production and nowhere near as clueless as I was when I first made beer. The process went fairly smoothly and the only confusion arose when it came time to fill the 6 gallon carboy... How close to the top should we fill it? Was it like wine, where 2.5 inches would be good or should it be less full to allow for the large amount of CO2?.. We opted for a middle ground... And boy were we wrong:


Looks like we filled it a bit too much. But hell, this is how you learn. Anyways my friend devised his own little clever airlock and it appears to be fine now:

Today's lesson: Don't over fill your carboy when making beer.

And I'm looking forward to the 60+ bottles of beer which were yielded from a $15 beer kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment